horst39 wrote, On 2009-05-10 02:33 PDT:
> On 09.05.2009 19:44,  NoOp wrote:
>> Before moving everything, I'd fire up the test profile, then in
>> about:config check for 'security' and compare the settngs (taking
>> screenshots is probably the easiest). Could be that you inadvertently
>> changed a setting from default & changing it back may resolve the issue.
>>
> You are right: there are about 10 additional "security" in my new
> profile. But it is not easy to understand what each line means, even
> looking at the Mozilla KB (not all are described here).
> Further the impossibility to print or copy the about:config doesn't
> simplify the problem.

about:config shows you all your "preference strings" (prefs for short).
Each pref consists of a long name and a value.

Many (most) of your prefs will have the "default" value, meaning the value
that SeaMonkey puts into a brand-new profile, and stays there if you don't
change it. Some prefs will have a "user set" value (a value that you changed
from the default, probably by making a configuration change in the
preferences dialogs).  The user set values are generally displayed in bold,
and show the words "user set" in the "status" column.

All the prefs are strings of ordinary printable characters.  about:config
shows you that some are "strings", others are "boolean" or "integer", but
"boolean" and "integer" are merely restrictions on the format and content
of the strings.

In your profile directory is a file named prefs.js.  That file contains all
your "user set" prefs, and none of the "default" prefs.  The file is just
text.  You can print it with notepad (on windows) or any other program that
will print plain text files.  The prefs are kept in alphabetical order.

If you open it in an editor of some kind, you should avoid saving/writing
the file back to disk.  An editor may change your prefs.js file in a way
that will ruin it.

You can back it up and restore it, of course.  Avoid the temptation to copy
it from one system to another or from one profile to another, because it
contains directory names that are unique to each profile.  If you put a
prefs.js file in the wrong profile, that will be a serious problem for both
the profile in which you put it, and the profile in which it really belongs.

By the way, in your profile directory are three files whose names end in
.db (on Windows).  If PSM won't start, odds are good that something bad
has happened to one of those files.  So, before you go and create a whole
new profile, try restoring just those 3 files from a backup.  Of course,
be sure your browser is not running when you do that.