My wife received an email with an MS Word attachment, using SM on a Mac. Double-clicking didn't open it. Clicking Open... didn't open it. I tried to save the attachment. Got a dialog saying something like "can't save. Check the filename. Try again later." After a moment or so, an icon appeared on the desktop with the filename. It thought it was an AbiWord document. I tried to open it with OpenOffice and got nothing.

'Twas then I noticed that it was a file of zero bytes. :/

Checked the message source and saw that, yeah, there actually was a bunch of data in the attachment. But being unable to open or save it, I decided to forward it to me.

I collected the mail in TB on a PC. The attachment opened readily in MS Word. I printed to a PDF and dropped that PDF onto the Mac. On the Mac, I opened it with Preview and it was garbage. I figured I must have some other software on the Mac that would read PDF. In fact, I had Adobe Reader, which readily displayed the file wonderfully. I then printed it.

Hell of a lot of BS to go thru just for a @*#(%& Word file!

We mustn't be the only ones experiencing this. What is it that turns an attachment into poison?
--
Malcolm
"They should know they're the Grateful Dead now." -- Phil