NoOp wrote:
On 10/30/2009 02:50 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Server: news.eternal-september.org
Fails on port NNTP (119) and NNTPS (563 with SSL) with this message:
    http://www.tmr.com/~davidsen/Private/SS-NoPost-SM2.0.png

And my first test post to this server failed silently as well.  WTH?

NOTE: since tested on another server with auth, fails there as well.

news.eternal-september.org works just fine for me. Server settings 563
SSL/TLS 'Always request authentication when connecting to this server-
outgoing server is the same as this email account.

I have tried 119 (no SSL) and 563 (with SSL), "always authenticate" check or not checked (which asks for auth, so it still should work), and since I have no idea what "outgoing server is the same as this email account" means, I have tried with accounts called just "eternal-september" (the original) and "news.eternal-september.org" in case that's what you meant. The outgoing SMTP host name is the same as all other accounts, which have no auth and work fine.

Here's the positive indication of a problem:

I ran tcpdump to see if SM was using the open socket or starting a new one, possibly without auth, and it is *not* generating any packets at all! WTH can that indicate, other than some internal sanity check is failing?

I've tried with migrated accounts, and with newly created accounts, tried fresh profiles, it really looks as if there's a bug here in in accounts requiring auth (not just e-s).

A rethink is requested, WFM doesn't fix the problem and others are reporting it as well.