On 10/31/2009 2:29 AM, HilsB wrote:
> First thanks to all for a great upgrade to SM2.
> I'm on a MAC intel and downloaded / installed SM2 which replaced
> 1.1.18.  SM2 would not recognise Master Password from 1.1.18. but
> would allow a new Master Password but would delete all held
> p'words etc.. Hmmm!
> Redownloaded 1.1.18 and, using password accessed all 'old'
> p'words etc.. Screen grab and took hard copy as backup. Inserted
> new password into SM2 and visited critical sites to register
> p'words from hard copy.  So far so good.
> Now at each startup of SM2 'Master password required for Software
> security device' - no other passwords required after registering
> 1.1.18's mail / newsgroup passwords.
> My question - how to stop SM2 startup 'Master Password Required'
> at each startup.
> Help appreciated - many thanks.

In in your profile directory/folder, locate the user.js file.  If there
is no such file, open an ASCII text editor (e.g., Notepad on Windows) to
create it.

In user.js enter the following:

user_pref("signon.startup.prompt", false);
// don't ask for master password until it's used, bug #338549

Note that the semi-colon (;) at the end of the first line is mandatory.
 The second line is merely a comment to remind you why you did this.

For this to be effective, you must terminate SeaMonkey completely and
then restart it.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>