Thomas H. George wrote:
I am trying to transfer a profile from iceape to seamonkey2 on 64 bit
system runing Debian Squeeze following mozillaZine "Moving Your Profile
Folder" article.

That's not the ideal guide since it assumes a transfer of profiles for the same major version which doesn't apply here. Instead, read this:

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_migration_-_SeaMonkey>

Path=/home/tom/.mozilla/tom
(...)
but if I start seamonkey it treats this as a new empty profile.

That's because SM 1.1 and SM 2 handle profiles differently. The path in profiles.ini points directly to the actual profile folder while SM 1.1 usually stores the actual profile data in a folder below the one that is named like the profile, e.g. /home/tom/.mozilla/tomtom/abc123de45.slt/ - anyway, for the switch from 1.1 to 2.0 profile migration as described on the page accessible through the link I gave above is recommended instead of messing with profiles.ini.

HTH

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>