Mr. Cheese wrote:
- the toolbar for changing font sizes, adding emoticons, etc does not
display when composing an email. I can't find a place to change this.

- when I look at some old emails which are replies to emails the quoted
email shows in some odd unreadable font.

Any help would be appreciated

Fir the first, you are probably set to compose in plain text. The formatting toolbar only appears when you are composing in html.

Edit>>Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings>>(account in question)>>Composition & Addressing

Check the box for Compose messages in HTML format.

Lee