Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
Mr. Cheese wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
Mr. Cheese wrote:
- the toolbar for changing font sizes, adding emoticons, etc does not
display when composing an email. I can't find a place to change this.

- when I look at some old emails which are replies to emails the
quoted
email shows in some odd unreadable font.

Any help would be appreciated

Fir the first, you are probably set to compose in plain text. The
formatting toolbar only appears when you are composing in html.

Edit>>Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings>>(account in
question)>>Composition & Addressing

Check the box for Compose messages in HTML format.

Lee
That took care of problem #1. thx.

More detail on problem 2:
It occurs when docx documents are attached.

I can't help you with that. I had one colleague who tried to post docx
files, and got shot down by the majority who did not have the latest
Word, so now he saves them in doc format.

There's an easy fix for that. MS has a converter that can be installed
in Office 2003 and older that will make docx and other 2007 files
readable. Anyone who wants to keep the older Office products but read
the newer files can install it once and they're good to go.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displayLang=en>

Of course, if you're reading 2007 files through the converter you may be
vulnerable to exploits that affect them, so you have to patch your
converter. So once you've installed the compatibility pack, I recommend
running Microsoft Update (or Office Update, if you prefer) to detect and
install any required patches.

Then again, the latest OpenOffice (NeoOffice) versions open docx files with no real problem, though it may not look exactly the same as in Word.

Then again, I am dealing with a body of people who need help opening their email. Downloading a converter and installing won't happen any sooner then installing OO.o, basically never.

Easier to teach newer Office users, who are usually the more adept users, to save in doc format, rather then docx.

Lee