NoOp:
>On 11/11/2009 04:27 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

>> Look here.
>> http://www.triffids.de/pub/screenshot/et091112.png (21 KB)
>
>What you fail to provide is the screenshot for the outgoing server.

Because it doesn't matter for this case. But here it is.
http://www.triffids.de/pub/screenshot/et091112-b.png (22 KB)

>Are you telling me that you can post to news.ethernal-september.org
>(other than there ethernal-september.org newsgroups without an email
>address and using localhost as your outgoing nntp server?

No. I'm telling you, that localhost is assigned to SMTP, in this case,
not normally, and has nothing to do with posting to eternal.

>> And here is a posting to eternal using localhost for SMTP.
>> <4afb54a4.4070...@hfigge.myfqdn.de>
>
>How in the f&*$ is anyone supposed to find that? We've been through this
>previously; google is *not* everyone's friend.

It is not necessary to use google. You could use
because
you are using eternal.

>And even if it were, why bother to use it to find your post.

MIDs are exactly the way to identify a postings and finding it. Without
the necessity of using Google. It is very common to use them.

>If you can't simply post a url and/or a newsgroup & subject on
>ethernal-september.org then don't bother posting your silly
>4afb54a4.4070...@hfigge.myfqdn.de.

It is not always possible to provide such a link. There are internal
NGs. And if a link could be posted, well, it takes time until a posting
is available at Google.

Furthermore there are cases with 'X-No-Archive' which cannot be found at
Goggle, but very well on a newsserver.

>Are you just obtuse, lazy, or both?

As said, MIDs are the common way to identify a posting. And there is an
easy way of using them. The MIDF. ;)

>>>Regardless, you require a valid smtp & email address to post to
>>>news..
>>
>> You may need one for the verification when getting a password. ;)
>
>And you didn't when posting to something other than
>'eternal-september.xyx and could post to something like
>alt.os.linux.ubuntu via news.ethernal-september.org?

I have tried de.alt.test via eternal. Should suffice.

>How interesting & odd. I guess that would mean that anyone can post to
>their newsserver and simply bypass the requirements outlined in:
>http://www.eternal-september.org/
> http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en

You need a valid email address when registering to eternal. And you
should have a valid email address in From: or Reply-To: when posting.

>Don't tell the spammers... they'll start spamming all the newsgroups via
>eternal-steptember.org...

First they have to register. :-P

Hartmut