NoOp wrote:
On 11/11/2009 04:27 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
NoOp:
On 11/11/2009 03:30 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
NoOp:
I do notice in your
http://www.tmr.com/~davidsen/Private/E-S_post_bug_SM2/SS-es-1.jpg that
your outgoing server is: localhost (Default). Do you actually expect to
post to news.ethernal-september.org via 'localhost (Default)'?
But that's for SMTP and not NNTP. :)
No. If you wish to post to news.ethernal-september.org (or any other
nntp group) you need to provide an outgoing smtp
connection/setup/server.
No. SMTP is needed only for PMs when replying to a posting.

Otherwise how do you expect the msg get sent?
Well, there are the settings for the newsserver. ;)

Have you looked at _your_ 'Outgoing Server (SMTP)' setting for _this_
newsgroup? Does it say 'localhost (Default)'? Does it work with that
setting?
Look here.
http://www.triffids.de/pub/screenshot/et091112.png (21 KB)

What you fail to provide is the screenshot for the outgoing server. Are
you telling me that you can post to news.ethernal-september.org (other
than there ethernal-september.org newsgroups without an email address
and using localhost as your outgoing nntp server?

And here is a posting to eternal using localhost for SMTP.
<4afb54a4.4070...@hfigge.myfqdn.de>

How in the f&*$ is anyone supposed to find that? We've been through this
previously; google is *not* everyone's friend. And even if it were, why
bother to use it to find your post. If you can't simply post a url
and/or a newsgroup & subject on ethernal-september.org then don't bother
posting your silly 4afb54a4.4070...@hfigge.myfqdn.de.

I suspect you don't understand NNTP... you can ask for an article by Message-ID, you don't *need* group, subject, etc.

Are you just obtuse, lazy, or both?

Your post brings to mind the terms rude and ignorant. You don't know how to use the information, therefore he is lazy?

Regardless, you require a valid smtp & email address to post to
news..

No, you don't! You don't use SMTP for news, different port, different protocol.

You may need one for the verification when getting a password. ;)

And you didn't when posting to something other than
'eternal-september.xyx and could post to something like
alt.os.linux.ubuntu via news.ethernal-september.org?
  How interesting & odd. I guess that would mean that anyone can post to
their newsserver and simply bypass the requirements outlined in:
http://www.eternal-september.org/
 http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en
Don't tell the spammers... they'll start spamming all the newsgroups via
eternal-steptember.org...

You can only post to groups in e-s unless you are registered and authenticate. After that you can post anywhere, as you can from any other server.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>