Leonidas Jones wrote:
OldTimer wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
OldTimer wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
OldTimer wrote:
/snip/
Downloading and installing NS 7.2 sounds easy enough (uninstall
4.5
and
install 7.2), but I'm not sure about the "and convert the
existing NS
4.5 profile to NS 7.2 use." It sounds like there's more for me
to do
than to just think that this happens automatically. What are the
steps
to do this?

Ed

When you first install NS 7.2, and run it for the first time, it
will
look for a profile. If it finds none in the 7.2 profile
location, it
will look in the Communicator profile location. If it finds a
Communicator profile, and it will, it will offer to convert the
profile
for 7.2's use.

All your data, your mail, your bookmarks, etc., will be copied and
converted to a format that NS 7.2 can understand. SeaMonkey 1.1.18
can
also use this profile.

Leave NC 4.5 installed for now. Install 7.2 and run it, allowing
it to
convert your profile. Open 7.2 and verify that the data is there.
Then
you transfer this profile to the new machine. Install 7.2 on the
new
machine, and point it to the profile you have moved. I can point
you to
directions on how to do this.

Once you are sure you no longer need the data in the old NC 4.5
profile,
you can uninstall 4.5.

Lee

I wasn't able to download 7.2 from the "releases" page. But I did
locate
a NS 7.1 CD. Is this version O.K.?

Ed

For this purpose, sure, it will do the same profile conversion that
7.2
will do.

So the Win95 machine has a cd drive? Great!

Lee

Yes, but unfortunately, it doesn't burn.

Ed

Well, you're right as usual! NS 7.1 is installed and all the mail &
addresses are there - in spite of the fact that the readme file stated
requirements of Win 98 or higher, 64 MB RAM & 233 MZ or faster - all of
which I do not meet. Thanks, I would have given up at that point.

So, is there any better way of transferring the Profiles folder to the
laptop than by copying it to a couple of floppy discs, recopying it
to a
CD-RW disc and installing in the Profiles folder of Seamonkey?

Is there a way to determine which Profiles folder applies to NS 7.1?
When I open it up, they both look alike.

If size is a constraint, could I just copy the Mail folder to a floppy?

Ed

A lot depends on what you need to transfer. If all you are concerned
about is mail, just copying the mail folder would get the data you need
transferred. How you proceed depends on how much you need to move.

If it is really just the mail, move the mail folder to your new
computer. Install SeaMonkey 2.0, and create a new clean profile. Open
Mail/News, and create your mail account. Since it was from NC 4.5, I
assume there is only one. Don't let it download any mail yet. Close
SeaMonkey.

In the newly created profile, in the mail subfolder, you should find a
subfolder named for the pop server of the account you just created. In
the Mail folder of the old machine, you should find a subfolder with the
same name. Replace the newly created subfolder with the old one, that
should transfer all your mail.

The addressbooks are in the root of your old profile folder. Any file
with a .mab extension in an address book. Copy them, and paste them into
the new profile folder.

Open SeaMonkey and see if your mail and address books are there.

Lee

Thanks Lee. I've already been using Seamonkey 2.0 on the laptop and have
mail & folders. What I hoped to do was to merge the two mail files and
since there is no address book, use the old one.

What would be the steps to accomplish this?

Ed

Replace the address book with the abook.mab, and any other mab files in
the profile from the old machine.

Take the Inbox file from your old profile. rename it OldInbox. Paste it
into your SeaMonkey Mail folder, in the subfolder for the account, on
the same level with the existing Inbox.

Open SeaMonkey Mail/News. You should see your current Inbox with its
contents, and a new folder called OldInbox, with the mail transferred
from the old machine. You can then sort it as required.

Any mail that you may have stored in other folders in the old account
can be moved in similar fashion, just make sure you don't duplicate
names, in order to avoid overwriting files and lising mail.

Lee

Project successfully completed!!

Thank you Lee,it wouldn't have happened without you. I ran into a little trouble when I put the files in the wrong place. The path was almost identical and it had the same files. But when they didn't show up when I opened SM I realized they were in the wrong place.

Thank you Martin, your links broadened my understanding of Seamonkey.

Chris, thanks for dropping off your little "gift".

And all I can say to Benoit is: try running on 16 MB RAM if you want to see slow.

Thank you all.  My wife will appreciate the upgrade to the 21st C.

Ed