Cedar wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
Cedar wrote:
"On WinXP sp2, ZA suite, AVG free, SM 1.1.16, MTS (Propel) Accelerator.
I can't remember just when all these problems started, but has been
happening for several months now, not sure if it started with SM 1.1.16
or not.

How long have you been using ZA Suite AND AVG together? I've never known
anyone to use more than one AV security program without problems. Have you
considered dropping AVG to see what happens? Or install another firewall to
work with AVG and disable ZA Suite?   bj

I've been using ZA and AVG together for about 7 months, come to think of it,
 that could actually be around the time these problems started! Right after a
 virus problem and a hard drive format!  Grrr!   Hmmm...  Do they tend to
clash even with ZA's antivirus disabled and just the free avg antivirus
installed?

I really have no idea, but if it were me, I'd go with only ONE vendor, when
using
a "suite".  I haven't used either one in a long time... and never together.  I
prefer separate programs for AV and FW, because of difficulties I had in the
past.

Dropping AVG seems like it could be risky as I am unable to update ZA on my
machine...always get an error message when I try, that's been a problem for
a long time.  Any suggestions as to another firewall to try with AVG?

You could use the Windows firewall with AVG's AV, to see if we're on the right
track that there's a conflict or problem with ZA.  Windows FW won't block
outgoing traffic, but it'll do for a test.  :)  Some people prefer Windows FW,
or simply never change what their PC came with.

I did previously have AVG's entire suite trial installed, but the firewall
seemed..well...kinda weird and not very ...umm...thorough, or something, I
guess.  So..would it work ok to run AVG's antivirus and some other firewall,
or would there be possible clashes there too?  My version of ZA is
8.0.298.035.  I tried googling for these problems and could find no info
about any version this recent!  And basically not a lot of info at all.  Do
you have some idea which version may be causing problems?

I'll keep looking now that I know what version you have.

Do I need to reduce my internet security programs in order to reduce my
anti-virus programs? ..Or is it a matter of just not having the antivirus
parts of these programs enabled in more than one suite?  Is there any other
way to possibly track down the specific error message?

Not that I know of, we just need to get one set of security programs working for
you, before we can find if there is a SeaMonkey conflict.

For what it's worth, Firefox is even worse, at least today, I could not even
 get into my bank website with it!!!!!  ...and it seems to be stalling when
it tries to connect to "search.avg.com".  Could something along these lines
possibly be affecting SM too? ...like when it "kicks out" of the banking
site...maybe it's actually looking for "search.avg.com", but not telling me
that....?

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with AVG at all anymore, and don't use Firefox so
I'm no help at all with this.  I think the key is getting your security programs
to work correctly, before we can identify any problems with these Mozilla based
programs.

It seems to me disabling the ZA suite completely for now, and seeing what
results you get with AVG and the Windows firewall enabled, should be the next
step.
What do you think?
bj