On 11/15/2009 12:10 AM, Richard wrote:
> Rufus wrote:
>> Richard wrote:

>>> So were stuck with this ver 2, reminds me of a problem we had with a
>>> Netscape version way back, also a ver 2 I think or was it ver 3?
>>> Netscape lost a great deal of support and ground to ie after that
>>> particular disastrous version.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of another Browser suite that allows multiple profiles?
>> SM 2.0 allows multiple profiles - they've just hidden the Profile
>> Manager without telling anyone...like with a few other features.
>>
>> Select Switch Profiles after opening SM 2.0, and you'll get the Profile
>> Manager.  Once you have more than one, it will come up by default at
>> launch.
>>

> I spent a week trying to recover my multiple profiles and eventually
> gave up, how can the developers of sm not see this as an issue and have
> something in the new version to take care of this? or at the very least
> warn users of this ISSUE and it is an issue, they really must be stupid.
>
> I take it the developers are either Linux users or act like Linux users
> such egg heads that they believe they are too smart for those of us
> unable to code! Well, I have sm at multiple sites and will certainly not
> be upgrading to ver2 and if I can find an alternate multi profile system
> I will, even if it means moving to the dreaded ie engine perminantly.

I using SeaMonkey 2 on Windows XP SP2.  I installed it one evening and
went to bed.  After breakfast the next morning, I migrated my primary
profile and three others successfully.

No, the instructions for migrating profiles were not as clear as they
should be.  But installing SeaMonkey 2 in a different location than
SeaMonkey 1.1.18 was important.  Backing-up my SeaMonkey 1.1.18 before
installing SeaMonkey 2 proved to be important (primarily because, at
first, I tried installing SeaMonkey 2 directly over SeaMonkey 1.1.18).

After installation, I found that I had to review about:config for
SeaMonkey 2 to correct preferences that pointed to my local files.  They
had to point to the SeaMonkey 2 files instead of SeaMonkey 1.1.18 files.
   I also had to set some preference variables in user.js in my
SeaMonkey 2 profiles because of open bug reports #526399 and #338549,
but I already had entries in user.js for SeaMonkey 1.1.x bugs.  Finally,
I submitted a few bug reports of my own; but I've submitted many such
reports against SeaMonkey 1.1.x.

Now, I'm using SeaMonkey 2.  I found that I needed one less extension
because that extension's capabilities were better implemented in the
basic SeaMonkey.  I found that the long-awaited Web fonts capability had
been implemented.  And I found a number of old bugs that I had been
tracking are now closed, not merely because they were asserted to be
closed but as a result of my own testing.

I will likely remove SeaMonkey 1.1.18 in about a month.  I've used it
only to check to see if certain SeaMonkey 2 anomalies also existed in
SeaMonkey 1.1.18.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>