S. Beaulieu wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:

The standard cut and paste manual move will work, as long as you find
the proper profile location, which is different on Win7 then on either
2K or XP:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey

Thank you!

Just to be sure I was clear, my "regular C&P approach" is to copy
whatever is below the basic profile folder, files and all, and crush it
over whatever is below the basic profile folder of the second computer.
So that will still work? Colour me impressed, as I would have expected
to be told that the infrastructure was completely different. yay for
simplicity!

How about copying my whole default profile into the default profile
location on the new computer *before* I installed SM on it? Would that
also work? I've never tried that approach before.

S.

As long as you are moving a SeaMonkey 2.0 profile from Win 2K to Win 7, there should be no problem with your procedure.

For what its worth, here is how I go about it, which is slightly different then you may see elsewhere.

Copy the profile folder from the old machine.

Install SeaMonkey 2.0 on the new machine. Use the Profile Manager to create its default profile. Do not open SeaMonkey yet, just close Profile Manager once the new profile is created.

With SeaMonkey closed, navigate to your new profile folder, the location of which can be found at the link I provided earlier. The new profile will be in a folder called xxxxxxxx.default. Your old profile will be xxxxxxxx.(profilename). Paste the old profile folder from the old machine in along side the newly created profile folder.

The x's in the above examples are actually a random string of numbers and letters. (profilename) would the name of your profile from your old computer, which may very well be "default".

For the sake of this example, say the newly created profile is a1b2c3d4.default, and the profile from the old machine is 4d3c2b1a.default. Make a note of the newly created profile name.

Rename this newly created profile to a1b2c3d4.defaultold. Then rename your old machine profile, 4d3c2b1a.default to a1b2c3d4.default.

In short, rename the profile you are moving to the same name as the one you just created. Close out, then start SeaMonkey. You should see your moved profile with all the data you had on Win2K.

Lee