On 12/12/2009 05:01 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 12/12/2009 4:28 PM, Chuck Johnson wrote:
>> YouTube recently upgraded their latest version of Adobe Flash Player,
>> and now it no longer plays video on SeaMonkey, even after I upgraded my
>> version of Flash.
>>
>> It works just fine on Firefox, but loading a video on SeaMonkey leaves
>> me with a message that says I need to turn on JavaScript or update to
>> the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.
>
> What you are seeing frequently means that the YouTube server is
> incorrectly "sniffing" for your browser, sniffing for "Firefox" and not
> "SeaMonkey".  Worse, if the problem is indeed sniffing, then the
> sniffing is incorrectly reporting its results when selected browsers are
> not detected.  For an explanation of "sniffing", see my
> <http://www.rossde.com/internet/Webdevelopers.html#sniff>.
>
> Please indicate a specific URI within YouTube where your problem
> appears.  This would be the address you request to see a video, not the
> address where you get the message about JavaScript and Flash.
>
> I request those who report that "It works for me" to select [Help >
> About SeaMonkey] from your menu bar.  Please reply in this thread --
> replying to your own prior reply -- indicating whether or not "Firefox"
> appears in the "Build identifier" at the bottom of the white box.

I don't think it is a browser sniffing issue at all:
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7pre)
Gecko/20091211 Lightning/1.0b1pre SeaMonkey/2.0.2pre
works just fine on
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfF01R-1mVk&feature=popular>
using:
Shockwave Flash

    File name: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42