DoctorBill wrote:
So is this something the site (Alchemy Mindworks) did, inadvertently
screwed up,
missed something important, what ? I don't even know enough to ask the
right questions.

Possibly. FTP server can require authentication, that was the case even before SeaMonkey was invented, but nowdays it's pretty rare to do so for FTP. Many FTP servers allow login as user "anonymous" with password "anonymous" though.

Some FTP servers with authentication even allow people to upload files there, by the way, even though SeaMonkey doesn't support that upload feature very well (but we rudely do support even that).

Robert Kaiser