On 12/16/2009 2:45 PM, John wrote:
> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>>
>>> I used Netscape 4.08 until a year ago, then went
>>> to SM 1117. I am still with 1117.
>>> I should be good now until about the year 2014.
>>
>> Congratulations!
>>

>> I probably just need to realize there are people who give a sh*t about
>> using secure software. ;-)
>>
>> Robert Kaiser
> What specifically are the security features of 2.0 and/or 2.01?  I am
> willing to try almost anything but, there neds to be a good reason to do so.

I think you may be confusing "Security Features" with "Security Fixes".

Ever since the dawn of software (well, almost), there have been security
vulnerabilities which can be exploited by those who wish to do harm and/or
benefit at your expense. Each time one of these vulnerabilities is
discovered, software makers work to close them.

This type of cat and mouse game has really exploded with the advent of
the Internet.

I often hear people say something to the effect:

  "If the software I installed 4 years ago was working then, why
  shouldn't I be able to continue using it?"

The answer is that 4 years ago, no one knew about all the security
vulnerabilities that have been discovered in the last 4 years (note
that the time period has been arbitrarily chosen for discussion
purposes).

The issue isn't that there are new security features in SM 2.0 (although
there may be), it's that no one is continuing to apply on-going security fixes
to the 1.1.X code base. "Security Fixes" is different from "Security Features".

What this means is that SM 1.1.18 is vulnerable to any security holes
discovered by the "bad guys" since it was delivered, and it's only going to
get worse as time moves on and new vulnerabilities are discovered.

Note that this is true for all software of this nature; There is nothing
particularly unsafe about SeaMonkey (as a product) in this regard.

I hope this helps explain things.