Leonidas Jones wrote:
n...@home wrote:
I have SM 2.0.2 on two computers, one with windowsxp and one with vista.
Until today, I was receiving email on the same account with whichever pc
I was using. Today, however, on the vista pc, when I went to read my
email, there were no new mails, and when I demanded that it download
mails, it connected to the POP server, said it was downloading 1 of 19
items, then after about a minute said the connection had timed out.

I went to my isps web site, and was able to read emails there. I didn't
read all of them. When I went back to the seamonkey reader, I got the
same failure, although this time the message about dowloading 1 of 19
reflected that I had deleted some of the emails when I visited the web
site. So apparently I am connecting enough to know how many emails there
are, but something is preventing me from receiving the actual emails.

I went to my windowsxp box and it is still working flawlessly,
downloading the messages as both boxes used to.

I thought perhaps a firewall setting was the problem, but I have the
same FSAV program on both computers, and I don't see any dissimilar
settings, and I had not done anything with the FSAV before the probem
happened.

I went to my ISP and the first cantalyst said using the same account
name from two computers could cause the server to crash. I thought it
was unlikely that it would crash for one computer and still work for the
other, and certainly they would have noticed that one of their servers
was crashing, but what do I know? The second analyst made more sense,
but said they didn't support seamonkey, and suggested it was a problem
with my vista pc or my firewall.

So what can I do to fix this thing? Incidentally, and obviously, I am
not having problems with the newsgroups.

What is the ISP involved? Is this a POP account or IMAP? I don't suppose
you were trying to access the same account from two computers at the
same time?

Lee

The ISP is cox cable. It is a POP account. And I only use one computer at a time. After posting my problem, I tried to email a friend and could not send email either.

I have blundered into a solution. Because I use email daily, I was able to conclude that something I had done the day before was the likely cause. I am a fan of America's Cup racing, which is going on now. They don't televise it in my country, but they have a website that you can watch it on, if you install a program they offer: RayV video player, and I had installed it, and it worked well. After installation, when I boot, my FSAV reports that the RayV video player wanted to act as a server, which they indicated might not be a good idea, but I authorized it anyway. I didn't want to remove RayV until the regatta was over, so I rebooted and when FSAV asked if I would allow RayV to be a server, I said no.

That solved the problem. So when the wind picks up and they start racing, I'll allow RayV to act as a server and do without email for a few hours, then reboot and not let it act as a server until the next race.

Thanks for the suggestion about IMAP; I'll see if cox provides that capacity.