Interviewed by CNN on 10/3/2010 13:32, MCBastos told the world:

> The display of the Burmese characters, though, wasn't working right. A
> few of the characters were replaced by little squares with four hex
> characters, like on the Unicode BMP Fallback font. Which I had
> downloaded but not installed, by the way.

Ummm, forget it. Further investigation revealed that no, mainstream
Unicode fonts don't support Burmese -- but that there are a few that do.
Furthermore, I installed the Unicode BMP Fallback font and Gecko
browsers now *only* show the fallback glyphs -- and they aren't the
internal ones, those look slightly different. I have no idea what Gecko
(and Opera) was using as replacements for Burmese.

However, further experimentation revealed the following:
- Installing a Burmese font (SIL Padauk) solved the problems with Gecko
and Iron, but had no effect on Opera and IE.
- Furthermore, installing fallback fonts (SIL Unicode BMP Fallback and
Apple Last Resort) *broke* the correct displays for Gecko browsers --
they would display the fallback fonts instead of the Padauk glyphs.

Well, at least I *imagine* those glyphs are correct. I can't read
Burmese, I was only trying to get rid of the ugly blank boxes...

I have to have a look on Bugzilla, there's probably a relevant bug
covering this...

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.