Gabriele wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher ha scritto:

One thing that's different about Burmese (like some other languages I'll
mention below) is that their writing system doesn't consist of a linear
sequence of glyphs in a straight line. Rather, glyphs are assembled
several at a time into compound characters. So even though Chinese has
thousands and thousands of glyphs, they are written in a straight line
(vertically or horizontally like English), but Burmese, Tamil, Korean,
Arabic, and several other languages have so-called "complex scripts" (M$
term).

For example, a common Korean formal greeting is "안뇽 하십니까?"
(annyong hashimnikka?), which decomposes thus:

[CUT]

Hello Paul,

what's the reason why I do see your (interesting) explanation about Korean and Dēvanāgari, but I only see squares on Wikipedia, exactly as MCBastos, for Burmese characters ?
I'm on OSX with SM 2.0.3

Wish I knew. I can't get them either, even by specifying Arial Unicode MS as my Unicode font everywhere and confirming that the page is being displayed in Unicode.

At any rate, Burmese /is/ one of the complex scripts. Perhaps it also requires special fonts.

Paul B. Gallagher