On 4/4/2010 2:42 PM PT, MCBastos typed:

Never. 2.1 will use Gecko 1.9.3. We're skipping Gecko 1.9.2.

Ah thanks! Any ETA on its public stable release?

We are just now at 2.0.4 and 2.0 came out in OCT.  so four versions in 6
months means one about every 6 weeks. If that continues That will mean
another 36 weeks (6 times 6) or about 9 months.  Just an educated guess
based on how its been tracking so far.

That's a faulty assumption. It implicitly assumes that there is
necessarily going to be a continuous sequence, including 2.0.4, 2.0.5,
2.0.6, 2.0.7, 2.0.8, 2.0.9, 2.1.0. That's not how version numbers work
at all.

In fact, it breaks down in the following way:
x.y.z,
where
x: Major version. Expect big changes when this number changes. Example:
Seamonkey changed from XPFE to the Firefox toolkit when going from 1.x
to 2.x. Don't be surprised if some of those changes will break
compatibility in a big way with existing add-ons.

y: Minor version. Some change in functionality, but usually not as
visible. Compatibility breaks tend to be less common and more easily
fixed. Sometimes, more significant revisions that don't quite rate a
major version change will be represented by a large jump here -- like
the jump from Firefox 3.0 to 3.5.

z: Maintenance release. Bugfixs, mostly. No expected change in
functionality or compatibility.

(Some projects use four levels of version numbers)

Note that this is NOT a strictly decimal system -- that is, any of those
numbers can exceed one digit. Seamonkey 1.x, in fact, had as 1.1.19 as
its last version -- under your logic, you would expect 1.1.10 to be
called "1.2".

Also, there's no reason why the maintenance would have to reach the "9"
value before the minor version could be incremented. It might be that
Seamonkey goes from 2.0.7 to 2.1.0, for instance.

Does SM have a map of its versions? I remember it (and original Mozilla suite) used to, but I couldn't find it a few months ago.
--
"When you turn on a light in a room, what happens?" Shaw said. "The roaches scatter, but the ants keep marching. You can step on them, throw water on them, but they keep on marching. I want ants for my defense." --Willy Shaw
   /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)