Arne wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 4/6/10 2:40 AM, Arne wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 4/5/10 9:14 AM, Walter wrote:
I click on a pdf file and adobe reader loads it ok. directly behind it
is a blank page. shouldn't it be the page from which I came? with the
link to the pdf page?
Walter.

I get this sometimes when the link is actually for JavaScript.  The
script tries to launch a new page (which in my case becomes a new tab)
as it fetches the PDF file.  It seems that the script actually downloads
another script (new page) that, in turn, gets the PDF file.  Obviously,
if this is what is happening, it's a poorly designed Web site.

In my opinion there is no need at all for SM to open a blank tab/page
when it's the PDF reader that is launched, no matter how the web page
is designed! Why not just open the PDF reader?

It's not the launching of the PDF reader that throws up the blank page.
   It's the JavaScript that thinks the PDF file will be viewed in a
browser window.  However, the PDF file is served by a MIME type that
instead requires a separate PDF reader.  As I said before, it's the
result of a poorly designed Web page.

Okay, then give me a link to a site with downloadable PDF-files where
this don't happen. Sure there must be at least one you have found, and
even that would be one more than I know about.

I have also still to find a PDF file that *requires* a separate PDF
reader. Only in IE (v.8) I have no clue how to prevent PDF's from
opening within the browser window, but since I don't use IE I don't
care. ;)

I believe it is the code within SM that cause this, not the site. When
SM can't decide if the pref settings are set to open within the SM
tab/page or within the stand alone PDF reader.

How about trying the Family Tree files I have on my website. I use PDF's extensively I just link to to them I have the files loaded on my website. they will either open with a PDFViewer such as adobe's for Safari. Or in a PDF Browser Plugin from Schubert for anything else except for a PDF viewer such as Acrobat Reader, or equivalent.

I don't use java or javascript.

http://www.phillipmjones.net

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com