Daniel wrote:
flyguy wrote:

Taking a closer look, I can see the biggest one is the Trash at ~7000
messages. That's with a 60 day retention period. The Inbox is only 200,
but at times gets closer to 1000; again, a 60 day retention policy. She
belongs to a number of busy sewing and quilting groups, which are
filtered to individual folders, but she deletes most of those messages,
so they don't build up.

As long as I remember to compact manually now and then when she's not at
her desk, then usually no complaints. This last one was probably due to
an ISP quirk, and not the compacting.

Why does anyone want to store (i.e. keep) anything in the Trash
folder...for one day let alone 60 days??

Make yourself/your Wife some extra folders to store the data in!!

It's not be "stored" in the Trash, it's "deferred deletion" like the Recycle Bin. If you haven't needed it after 60 days, you can probably live without it, and the system does finally automatically delete it. She does save messages she wants to keep in various folders.

Personally, I pull stuff out of the Trash a few times a month, sometimes to save, sometimes because a situation I thought was over comes back to life, but usually just remind myself of something. I use a 90 day retention period, which is satisfactory 99.99% of the time. Very rarely, not even once a year, I might have to go to a mail backup file and find what I've after.