MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 21/4/2010 08:27, Daniel told the world:

O.K., well if that's the situation then you should probably know that
when you move an e-mail  from the inbox to the Trash folder, it's not
really moved, it's just marked for deletion (one of the bits in the
header is changed from a zero to a one, or something).

Well, THIS part is correct...

Then, when you Empty Trash, all the stuff that's still in your inbox
that's marked for deletion is actually deleted. Until then, the e-mail
is still in your inbox file, just not showing.

Yep, my mistake, the bit isn't changed until the Trash is emptied, and the message is actually removed as part of the compaction process.

Daniel

...but this one isn't. Actually, the "marked for deletion" message in
the inbox is deleted when the folder is compacted, which is independent
on having the Trash emptied.

Emptying the Trash has the same effect as (re-)deleting all messages in
the Trash and then compacting it -- but since Seamonkey does not have to
worry about *keeping* stuff, it can take the shortcut of deleting the
entire folder and recreating it as a new mail folder, which is way faster.

So having all these e-mails still, really, in your inbox is why it's
taking soooooo long to re-index.

The problem is not the deleted messages, is the *remaining* messages. I
try keeping mine under a thousand.

If there are significantly-sized groups of messages with a common theme
(same sender company, for instant) it would probably be better to set up
a rule and send those directly to a separate folder. This improves both
performance (because the inbox doesn't grow so much) and organization.

For instance, I subscribe several mailing lists and Yahoogroups; all of
them have their own folders. Most of them are of the "non-urgent"
variety -- so keeping them in separate folders keeps my Inbox
uncluttered; when I'm busy, I just ignore those folders. When I have
time I go to those and read them.

I was going to suggest that you stop Trashing these messages, but maybe
you could try marking them as "Junk", but I think that would really be
the same thing.

Similar, in that the message is (usually) moved to the Junk folder,
where they will be kept for a while and then deleted; but different, in
that marking it as "junk" trains the program to recognize similar
message with the goal of tagging them as "junk" automatically. You
REALLY, REALLY SHOULDN'T tag relevant (but old) messages as "junk."