hawker wrote:
On 5/25/2010 9:22 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
Guess I'll pay the 8 bucks a month for giganews. If eternal-september is
going to break down every few days even if free is not very enjoyable. I
want something once you set it up you don't feel like you need to take a
hammer to your computer to make it work.
As an alternative to news.eternal-september and giginews at the higher
$$$ I really like. news.individual.net.  I have been using it for about
12 years now with almost no issues.  It used to be free but is now 10
Euros a year, a pretty good price in my mind. Yes I am in the US and yes
I have had no issues paying in Euros with my credit card.  The price
just changes a tad each year depending on the exchange rate.

http://news.individual.net/

There are no binaries on this, so if you need binaries than, yes perhaps
giga news is your option.

Hawker

If I was going to pay for a news service, I would go back to individual.net. I used it for several years before and after they had to institute a fee, when AOL and other ISPs canceled news services for their clients.

Like you, I found it to be an excellent news service, and they filtered more spam than any server I've used.
bj