On 06/27/2010 10:57 AM, Jens Hatlak wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> According to the OP on 6-26-10:
>>
>> SeaMonkey doesn't give me the option to automatically save certain
>> file types - the latest example being
>> http://www.cacetech.com/sharkfest.09/DT5_Varenni_WinPcapDosDonts.pptx
>>(...)
>> and the 'Do this automatically for files like this from now on.' line
>> is greyed out.
>
> SeaMonkey stores download associations per MIME type. The problem with
> the download from the address above is that it is delivered with MIME
> type text/plain. That is, like application/octet-stream, too generic to
> be stored. You wouldn't want any text file to be opened with the program
> you choose for this .pptx file, right?

Even though the server is presenting as text/plain:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 03:31:35 GMT
Server: Apache
Vary: *
Cache-Control: max-age=86400
Expires: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 03:31:35 GMT
Last-Modified: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:16:45 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes

SeaMonkey should/will pick up the mime type if the file extention type
has been previously identified on the system (see below).

> The only way how to solve this issue is by fixing the source, i.e. the
> web server that delivers that file (cacetech.com).

I disagree, see below.

> You can find out about these issues by either using the Live HTTP
> Headers extension or using the wget command line tool (available by
> default on most Linux machines) with the -S parameter.

Actually it's an Microsoft Office 2007 openxml powerpoint format (as
Phillip pointed out). Also see:

http://filext.com/file-extension/PPTX

On linux SeaMonkey (and Firefox) use /etc/mime.types:
about:config
helpers.global_mime_types_file;/etc/mime.types
When I click on that url, I am offered the option of opening with
OpenOffice.org (my default), Saving, and Do this automatically....

My /etc/mime.types shows:
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation
pptx

In Win7 SeaMonkey also uses the default system mime type. Where they are
located on Win 7/Vista I do not know as I only boot into Windows for
testing purposes.
  If I click on the url I am presented with the option to use 'Microsoft
Open XML Converter (default)'. If I change the system default to use
OpenOffice.org, I am then presented with that instead of the MS
converter. In this instance, I am also offered to Open, Save, Do this
automatically... Same as if I click on the url in FireFox 3.6.4.

In the OP's case, I suspect that the problem is that he doesn't have
.pptx file extension defined in his system.

Note: all above are w/SM 2.0.5. Both linux & Win7 open the file w/o
issue, and both offer the option to 'Do this automatically...'.

Also tested on Win2KPro SM 2.0.4 (offers to open, and does, in
OpenOffice.org (my defaults). However in this case, SM greys out 'Do
this automatically...', probably because Win2KPro has no MSO for pptx
and doesn't understand pptx w/OOo. So to see if 2.0.5 makes a
difference, I'll upgrade & test. Oh wait... I see that SeaMonkey isn't
giving me a choice and is instead downloading 2.0.5 all by itself (this
*really* needs to change as default). Nope, no change; SM still has 'Do
this automatically...' greyed out. And, going to
Edit|Preferences|Browser|Helper Applications shows no entries for
microsoft, powerpoint, openoffice, ppt, etc. mimetype.rdf shows no
related entries either.

Question for Lee:
What happens when you save the .pptx file and then open via Windows
Explorer? What is the default application that opens the file for you?