On 7/9/2010 9:48 PM, Beverly Howard wrote:
 >> encoding settings response <<

Thanks... the information goes into a biological pool that helps me make
and discard clues as time goes forward.

Since you displayed a screen shot of one of my messages, think that
pretty much confirms that the cause is your system and within SeaMonkey
since the print preview is "pre-printer" selection.
Why "my system"? as far as I know my system is pretty much standard Windows XP.
(I set my default printer to generic/text only and it did not make a difference
in the
preview display)
This may be a miss clue since sometimes the print preview view is corrupt.

The fact that the message header is not corrupted in the print preview
may be a clue.
Sometimes the page headers or footers are corrupted, message headers not so much.

First, take a look at edit/pref/mail.../msgDisplay/plain... and see if
it's set to fixed font.
Full path please.

However, my primary suspicions after tinkering with this for the past
hour would be the edit/pref/appear/fonts settings on the possibility
that one of the printer font sets being used by seamonkey is corrupt or
misdirected.

My tinkering shows that the print preview body text font on my system is
set by the "monospace" entry in the above (Remember, I'm set to "Fixed
Font" in the message display.

Since my posts are in (at least they should be) pure plain text, there's
no reason there should be a difference between the header and body.

 >> different encoding settings and it didn't seem to make much
difference <<

I found that the encodings made significant differences to messages from
several far eastern correspondences even though their posts were in
english, using western..., they displayed corrupted not unlike the
images you posted, hence my suggestion.

Please report back... I'm curious now.

I'm not sure what to report back. I'm as mystified as before.

Beverly Howard