On 8/17/10 7:16 AM, S. Beaulieu wrote:
> I'm trying to access www.subaru.ca but ever since they revamped their
> site, I keep getting an XML analysis error that keeps me from even
> seeing the site (the whole screen is a yellowinh beige with the error
> message and part of a coding line that seems to go on off-screen, yet
> can't be fully viewed). I know there are some coding errors and that's
> likely the problem. I emailed their web technical support about this and
> it seems like they are working on it.
>
> That being said, what is strange is that the site works with Firefox.
> I've never yet seen a site work with FF while being totally unaccessible
> using SeaMonkey.
>
> So I'm wondering whether the problem might not be on my end after all.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> S.

I tested it.  It is definitely a case of invalid sniffing.  Not only is
the server sniffing for "Firefox" when it should instead sniff for
"Gecko" -- if they can justify sniffing at all -- but also the sniffing
code crashes when it finds an unrecognized browser.

See my <http://www.rossde.com/internet/sniffing.html>.  Note that the
"XML Parsing Error" message you got is very similar to the second
message under the fouth bullet from the top.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross