Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Yesterday, I packed up my fully functional laptop with SM 1.1.16 and brought it to a different location, where we plugged an Ethernet cable into my host's Verizon FiOS router. I can browse, receive mail, and post to NGs, but not send POP3 mail. I keep getting a message saying a connection cannot be made to the SMTP server. This applies to three different SMTP servers hosted by three entirely separate companies. I can retrieve mail from all three.

I tried upgrading to v. 2.0.6 (which I'd been meaning to do anyway), but that didn't help.

I can ping the servers and get a quick response from each, but that doesn't mean I can send POP3 mail.

My LAN connection is set to get IP and DNS server addresses automatically (I'm not forcing any particular addresses).

This has always worked fine at this location, and my very knowledgeable host says he hasn't changed anything in his settings, firewall, etc. For that matter, neither have I since my last visit.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks.

Each outgoing server (smtp) has its own settings.
Sometimes you can access an outgoing server from another isp,
but that is rare.

In SM 1xxx, edit/mail&newgroup acct settings/outgoing server (smtp)/
edit or add as necessary.
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate data.
You can have multiple smtp's but will have to set for the one that
you currently use.