Ever hear of these symptoms?  Know of any cures?

SM2 (latest version as of about 2 months ago) on an Intel Mac Mini running
Leopard is behaving VERY STRANGELY.  Left clicks on buttons, menu items,
and certain other UI features that ought to cause actions, often cause a
pop-up menu to be displayed, in addition to whatever action they're
supposed to take.  If one is not careful to move the mouse out of the menu
before releasing it, one ends up performing unintended actions,
which may have very undesirable consequences.

Example: in SM's mail window, EVERY time the "Get Msgs" Icon is clicked,
a menu appears offering some choices, the first of which is to customize
a toolbar.  File -> Get New Messages gets new messages and brings up some
other menu which must be carefully dismissed.

This has made SM2 unusable for my elderly relative.  After struggling with
that unwanted menus for some time, the entire bar of icons including "Get
Msgs" icon disappeared, and I have no idea how she can get it back.
Now her SM2 is effectively non-functional for email.

This is a brand new OS/X install on a clean disk with SM2 and almost no
extensions or plugins (quicktime, Adobe PDF reader).  It has an Apple
two-button "mighty mouse", and the buttons were configured properly (right
mouse separate from left mouse, buttons not reversed) recently.
She's being careful to left-click.

Any ideas gratefully received.