W3BNR wrote:
On 3/5/2011 12:46 AM Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:
On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 15:11:33 -0500, Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:

Is there any way to sequence the messages in a folder in a particular
order. The only way that I have been able to come up with is to move
them, one at a time, individually, into a new folder. ???
I have found a need for this, if I need to process a group of messages
outside of SM. e.g.: to decode a media file downloaded in parts.

Tag them and sort on the tags column.

Phil

So, how do I tag messages which when I look at the folder, sorted by
order received are in the order: 1,10,11,12,2,3,4,9,8,7,6,5
to be in a folder, in the order : 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12
So that I can decode the collection?

A while back a friend who was doing just that on binary news groups had
a program that would put all the msgs in order, strip the un-needed
parts of the msgs, put the uucoded sections in order and decode. I don't
remember the program's name, but I'm sure you could come up with it by
searching with Google, Ask, or whatever.

uudecode or uudeview are examples of the program you're looking for - the latter much better at it than the former.

Oh, and the original list looks sorted lexically, not numerically, so a solution on that is to left-pad the numbers with zeros to the appropriate number of places - eg. 01, 10, 11, 12, 02, 03, 04, 09, 08, 07, 06, 05