Ed Mullen a écrit :
question wrote:
wingspan2 wrote:
Well,
Here is what I found out. My internet provider, (Comcast) will not
give up the "Out Going Mail" port number. I searched the internet and
came up with a few, but not in my area. When I spoke to a
representative at "Comcast" I asked for the port number and they
refused to give it to me. They claimed that I had to log onto Comcast
home page, then read my emails from their server. I told them I did
not like the way it way set up and basically they told me to jump in
a lake if I didn't like it. So with that in mind, thank you everyone
who has made an effort to help me. If anyone knows their outgoing
server port number in my area, (Chico California) feel free to pass it
on to me. :-)
Rob
Very reason why I Left COMSHAFT ....

I never want to Talk to A COMSHAFT tech support person for the rest of
my Life .

Been with Comcast many years. Triple play, Internet, TV and phone. I
have had issues but I have background, technical and marketing, in the
industry. So I have always been able to sit a tech down at my table, put
a schematic in front of him and say: "Ok. Don't touch anything until you
understand how this house and my systems are wired." And sometimes I've
had to escalate to third-level support. But, when I do, and I
demonstrate that I know what I'm talking about? They have been very
helpful. And solved whatever issue was at hand.

Yes, I understand, most ordinary folk can't do that. But they can't do
that for any of the Comcast (or other cable or satellite or AT&T
companies) alternatives either.

Caveat Emptor. If you don't know how stuff works you are at the mercy of
everyone.

The point is not about this provider yes or no, due to their reply to non tech users, I would have told them more or less the same, if not being able to find the answer themselves with google search or not knowing the basics about config of a mail client. the point is about SM update that apparently breaks the conf of the mail client with no apparent reason, we could see several complaints about, (I did not see myself this inconvenience)

--
cyberzen