On Fri, 27 May 2011 23:55:47 -0400, in message
<mailman.1288.1306555164.9060.support-seamon...@lists.mozilla.org>
d...@kd4e.com wrote:

> The Internet is usually thought of as without boundaries,
> except where renegade thuggish nations manipulate their
> captive populations by manipulating information.
>
> So, I have been surprised from time to time when I am on
> a site in Europe or elsewhere and get an error saying
> that some resource is not available in my "region".
>
> Is there a way to make a Web browser region-neutral?
>
> Are these sites looking at the IP address or something
> in the browser identification?

The sites are looking at your IP address.

It is not your browser identification.  Take your laptop and
browser, and fly around the world from country to country.
You will see it varies with where you are.

> I'm just curious, I don't want to do anything illegal,
> but if there is a legal way it would be nice.
>
> I don't have an example other than the BBC in UK did this
> when I went to look at a Doctor Who show - I am guessing
> that is a contract-thing where other regiond get delayed
> viewing.  I get that - but it is what reminded me of this
> anomaly.

That might explain it.

> In the past it has been a document related to the operation
> or repair of an old radio or piece of test gear - not likely
> a matter of modern video licensing.

They may be publishing a copyrighted document under licence,
and someone else has the publishing rights in other countries.

The same can also happen with trade marks.

--
Kind regards
Ralph