On Sat, 28 May 2011 09:14:57 -0400, in message
<mailman.1304.1306588726.9060.support-seamon...@lists.mozilla.org>
d...@kd4e.com wrote:

> So, other than some thuggish regime blocking free political
> speech the only reason an IP would be blocked by region
> would be to protect a copyright?

No.

1.  "only reason ... would be to protect a copyright" ... ?

    Please read my previous message where I also mention trademarks.
    Copyright is a major reason, but "major" is not the same as "only".

2.  "blocking free political speech" ... ?

    What is blocked can often be something else.
    2.1  "Family friendly ISPs" block pornography.
    2.2  The "Protect IP" bill before the US Congress would block sites
         which are "dedicated to infringing activities".

3.  "regime blocking" ... ?

    This case does not fit the facts you describe.
    3.1  What you would see will not say "not available in your region".
    3.2  Such regimes do not care about your browser's IP address.

> COuld a poorly designed and/or implemented spam filter
> cause this as well?

Email spam filtering will not cause this.

A "net nanny" type web filter may block what you can see,
but it will not say "not available in your region".

> I have seen lists of countries that may be blocked in
> filters - based on a presumption of unusually high rates
> of spam - I think they were in filters designed for children
> where the children would be unlikely to have any need for
> access to those countries.

The only spam I have received so far this week (phishing spam)
has a bogus-Paypal URL which really goes to a Verizon customer
in Dallas, Texas, USA.

Filters to identify spam by URLs in the email, still filter
only emails.  They are not web browser filters; they do
not prevent you pasting a BBC URL into your web browser.

--
Kind regards
Ralph