On 7/8/2011 1:45 AM, Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
On 7/7/2011 11:46 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

The SeaMonkey project is proud to present SeaMonkey 2.2: The new major
release of the all-in-one Internet suite is available for download now!
Building on the same Mozilla platform as the newest Firefox release, it
delivers the latest developments in web technologies such as HTML5,
hardware acceleration and improved JavaScript speed.

SeaMonkey 2.2 is available in 21 languages, for Windows, Mac OS X and
Linux.

Still no automated download/install?

Help | Check for Updates produces:

There are no updates available.
SeaMonkey will check periodically for updates.
[OK]

Sorry, no auto update from 2.0.14 [yet]. In fact I am working on this
now.

We expect to have it out for beta users within the next few days, and
for all users by about a week or two [max].

The automation side is ready/done for this, now its just the actual
process/translation/testing work that needs doing.

Hmmm ... Three days ago you wrote that we should expect 2.3, in 6 or 6.5
weeks.

correct.

So that means that 2.2 will only be a the current version for
the general users for about a month (6.5-2).

closer to 2 months, but yea.

That hardly gives us,
users, time to get familiar with any new quirks.

The "new quirks" will not change anywhere near as much between versions as they used to. So this point imo, is moot.

Also, of course, bug reports on 2.2 will easily be shrugged off;

Not true, we will treat bug reports seriously and work to get them fixed asap. whether that is in "next version" (which will be out 6-6.5 weeks after the last) or if its in trunk (which that release will be at most 18-18.5 weeks away, so 3 months) and that is a much better turnaround for non-security bugs than you have ever seen before for us :-).

since, after all, 2.3 be the hot focus of all efforts.

technically, all *new* efforts right now are for 2.5. Though our next release is indeed 2.3. We still look to address serious issues on carefully selected "beta" branch landings.

2.2 is the security/stability release to 2.1; 2.3 will be the same for 2.2, etc.

--
~Justin Wood (Callek)