Just to mention, that for me 2 SM2.2 (auto-)updates (Windows Vista and Mac OS 10.6.8) went fine the last day, based on SM2.1 installations.

I'm actually still maintaining mail folders (well, "keeping them in direct access archive mode" would be more precise) with mails from 1997 without having at any time in between the need to actively convert something. (Though changing OS in between a few times. Solaris (university), Win9x, Linux, WinXP, Solaris+Win2k+Vista (at work), Mac OS 10.4 -> 10.6. And HW (Sparc, i86, UltraSparc, PowerPC, i86 again) too.) It's somehow always been there...
(Including some predecessors maybe...)

While at the same time tons of things (big and small) have been added around it...
... mostly for the good.

Glad your are here...

Best regards
Philipp