Daniel wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
flyguy wrote:

if you'd read his message... you'd know he already tried
compact...

Did he compact the Trash folder? I wasn't sure from his description
if he'd done that.

In every version of SeaMonkey I've ever had, telling the program to
compact folders has resulted in compaction of all folders within the
selected account, including Trash. But I suppose if he has it set up to
direct deletions to Trash in a different account, compacting the source
account would not affect that Trash folder.

I see that you can now right-click a folder and tell the program to
"compact this folder," but that's new to me. I've always just done File
| Compact Folders and gotten them all in one pass.

I was astonished to read Justin's statement that compacting folders
could take as long as an hour. In my experience, it's never taken more
than about five minutes, and it usually takes less than two. And I'm not
working with some ultrafast multi-CPU machine, but I do have folders
with thousands of messages.

It's my understanding that the process can be more effective if you
File->Empty Trash before you Compact Folders.

Went ahead and compacted all folders one at a time again. This is the 3rd time I did this. The first time I just did File>Compact folders. The second time I did them individually. (Right click, compact folder). The 3rd time I did them individually again. I do not know why compacting the folders the previous 2 times did not fix the problem. I am pretty sure the trash folder was the problem. Emails now delete properly. Thanks for all your suggestions because they were helpful in the event I missed something.
Bernie