Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:09:47 +0200, /Ray_Net/:
Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:45:49 +0200, /Ray_Net/:
Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

Edit -> Preferences: Mail & Newsgroups / Message Display:

[ ] Display emoticons as graphics

It would be interesting to have:
Edit -> Preferences: Mail & Newsgroups / Message Display:
[ ] Display symbols fonts as WinWord does

Dream on. :-) ... or better stated - live the future.

Is it so difficult to implement ?

It is at least core Gecko design SeaMonkey can't change on its own. On a side note, I've once filled (already mentioned elsewhere in this thread):

Bug 232819 - Add character mappings for common symbol fonts like Wingdings

The bug requests that a proper (still custom) Unicode character map is made available in Mozilla for Wingdings (which is still not what you want), but I now agree with the decision Mozilla took to not support such fonts for the good of the Web. If Microsoft steps in and provide Unicode character map in the font - Mozilla will just use it with no problem. Note it will still not render "smiling face" in place of the J character, but will render "smiling face" for the "smiling face" character using Wingdings, if given as first font hint. Probably that's one of the reasons Microsoft leaves the font as it is now, to maintain some backwards compatibility, which however doesn't appear relevant for the Web - probably for compatibility with some other Desktop applications.

--
Stanimir