Rickles wrote:
Pete wrote:
Unfortunately, it still does it for me. I've tried this suggestion, and
the earlier one about deleting the trash.msf files, and neither seem to
have made any difference at all.

I've tried a few more things now, such as deleting my huge bookmarks
file, and severely reducing the number of newsgroups, and it now seems
that newsgroups may have some bearing on the problem, at least in my
case.

I deleted most of my newsgroups, but with no noticeable difference. I
then went into the settings, and turned off "check for new messages at
startup" and "Check for new messages every". The idea was to try to stop
SeaMonkey from doing anything with newsgroups without me needing to
actually delete everything, which I didn't want to do.

I noticed that the "To recover disk space" options were set to "Don't
delete any messages". I changed this to "Delete messages more than 14
days old" and set the "Remove bodies from messages more than" also to 14
days.

Eureka - I can now use SeaMonkey again on this computer! It still hangs
sometimes, but nowhere near the literally "four minutes out of every
five" level that it did before.

This information, together with the previously posted information about
possible links to email and .MSF files, strongly suggests (to me,
anyway) where the problem lies. Seamonkey never used to behave like
this, so any "background" (hmm) cleanup routines that have changed in
recent versions are clearly suspects.

I'm sure those of us suffering this hanging problem would appreciate it
if some development time could go into nailing this bug.

Regards, Peter
Your point about the storage of old newsgroup messages is well-taken,
even though the issue I had didn't appear to relate to NNTP traffic. I
have set my expiration dates to 30 days rather than 14, but none had
been set prior to that. We'll see.

I've also had a few instances of sending emails not completing as
expected, but I'll post that separately as a new thread. Related? Who
knows.

Rick.

One thing you will want to keep in mind with e-mail is when you delete a message, or send it to trash, or empty trash, is that you have not completely removed those messages. You have only hidden them from view.

When you want to completely remove them from your system you need to "Compact" the folder.

Michael G

--
Armadillo Web Development
www.armadilloweb.com