Ray_Net wrote:
Dustbin wrote:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Dustbin wrote:
I have been wondering what protocol is used to return the info in a
web form. E.g. the mailto: protocol. I take it this is not SMTP.
But is it HTTP; is it FTP; is it...?

An interesting collection of answers though clearly many thought I
wanted to write the web page or I was defining the server behaviour.

No, I didn't think that. :-)

I was concerned for the security of my information being entered in a
web form and how readable it might be as it returns to the server.

In most cases, anything you enter in someone's web form will be secure.
It does depend on how the site handles it. If you're concerned about
"shopping carts" those should be done using https, because you are
probably typing your credit card and other personal info. They would be
stored on the site's database and not visible to anyone beyond the
server, other than the site's owner.

Of course, any plain text format would be readable but some protocols
are more likely to be targeted than others. E.g. I think SMTP is more
likely to have probes looking for useful info than message data being
sent back as HTML using HTTP.

You did ask specifically about the "mailto:"; protocol. A mailto does not
involve the web server, and is strictly between your email client, your
sending ISP via SMTP, and the recipient's email services. This will be
as secure as those mail services can be - i.e. if your own computer is
not compromised nor is the recipient's.

That is what I was asking - about the protocal used to transmit. It is
not the issue of what happens on the server (that is down to the server
operator); it is down to whether it can be seen en-route. I am also
aware of https and 128 bit SSL. That was not the issue here - just the
transmission protocol which - being SMTP - is not very secure.

What protocol/security did you expect when sending mail with a
mail-client ?

The protocol I assume for standard email is SMTP and security is zero.

D.