David Goldfield:

>OK, I'm in the process of trying to restore emails which I stupidly
>deleted when erasing my settings in safe mode.

No, they are not deleted. I have tried now what you did but of course
after making a backup of the profile i am using. So there was no danger. ;)

>I found the email folders in
>
>C:\documents and settings\david\application
>data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\ot85ufde.default
>This is, as you probably can tell by the path, an XP machine.

Mhm, my knowledge covers DOS, not Win. But i can guess.

>How do I tell Seamonkey to point to that profile to get to its mail
>folder which is contained in the above folder.

I assume that you are still using that profile which should have the
name 'default'. You can verify this with Tools->Switch Profile and
looking which one is selected. Press 'Cancel' after that.

>Should I modify the profiles.ini file or go into Profile Manager.

Changing the profile will not help because you should be using the same
one as before. ;)

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, make a backup of
C:\documents and settings\david\application data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\
before any experiments.

You have lost your old prefs.js which contains the information how to
access the files in the folders Mail/ and News/. Perhaps you are lucky
and can find the prefs.js in the Trash of Win.

If so, rename your current prefs.js to pref.js-s1 and copy the found
prefs.js from your Trash in your profile. Then test by starting SM.

Hm, is it necessary to mention that all manipulations of a profile must
be done when SM is closed? ;)

Hartmut