David Goldfield wrote:
OK, first I want to apologize for the frenetic state of my previous
messages regarding this issue. It was late at night, I panicked and this
explains the lack of clarity in my messages regarding this issue. Let me
explain the situation in terms which, I hope, will be clearer.

I am using Seamonkey 2.4.1 on a Windows XP Pro machine running SP3 if
that is all relevant. I had been having issues with certain Web pages
disabled all unnecessary and even some necessary add-ons, defragmented
not only the hard drive but the Seamonkey program and data folders,
checked to see what was in startup, checked for viruses, malware, etc.
When none of that worked I wondered if resetting the program to its
default settings might improve things. I did a little bit of reading on
how running Seamonkey in Safe mode gives you the option of restarting
Seamonkey normally allowing the user to choose whether addons are
disabled, toolbars are reset, etc. I did this including checking the box
to get rid of user preferences not assuming this includes email account
information. I then restarted seamonkey normally, not in safe mode, and
found that bringing up the email window triggered the new account wizzard.
I do see that my old email folders from my various accounts still seem
to exist in the folder
C:\documents and settings\david\application
data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\ot85ufde.default\Mail
My question is this: what can I do to get Seamonkey to realize or to
"know" that it is to look in this folder for my email instead of
bringing up the new account wizzard. I do not have a backup copy of the
prefs.js file but I am not afraid to modify either it or any settings in
about:config with guidance. I hope this clarified my situation.

David

David, it's been a real long time since I've had to set up a mail account from scratch, but when SM brings up the new account wizard (as you mention above), on the (second, I think) screen where you get to give the mail account a name, do you also get to pick the account's location?? Don't accept the default location, try to point it to your current accounts location, as you list above.

HTH

--
Daniel