flyguy wrote:
I'm using SM 2.4.1 on an XP computer.

I installed the Addon Compatibility Reporter; after that, my Lightning
Calendar extension ceased to function, and it was reported at "not
compatible". I was using 1.0b7; it appears 1.0 was installed.

The ACR extension disables all add-on compatibility checks. This also means that it'll offer to install versions that are known to not be compatible, like Lightning or Enigmail, which contain binary components where each add-on version only works with a certain application version (e.g. Lightning 1.0 only works with SM 2.5).

What happened, and how do I recover? I can install 1.0b7 again, but how
about all my calendar entries?

I don't know what will happen if you downgrade Lightning, so I recommend to upgrade SM instead (2.5 is stable and works with Lightning 1.0 which you already have installed so no need to downgrade anything).

Apparently, I completely misunderstand the function and purpose of the
Compatibility Reporter, as it did a lot more than "report". Just what is
it supposed to do?

It's supposed to support alpha/beta testers with investigating whether reportedly incompatible add-ons are actually still compatible with newer application versions.

Mozilla knows about its shortcomings and is working on making add-ons compatible by default (automatically excluding add-ons with binary components like Lightning, and allowing add-on authors to selectively enable strict compatibility checking). AFAIK this is scheduled to land in time for SM 2.7 or 2.8 the latest (it's already enabled in nightly builds).

HTH

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>