On 12/2/11 4:26 PM, Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> Stan wrote:
>> Did we ever come up with a sure way of tricking sites into thinking we
>> are using Firefox?
>>
>> I need to switch banks and it appears they only accept the browsers on
>> their list.
>>

> The largest way sites do this checking works out of the box with
> SeaMonkey 2.5 (and a few other versions), but we do have a pref for it.
>
> Fwiw you're current version does have this feature enabled, so if it
> doesn't work with your new bank, there is a stronger issue with the way
> it does this checking:
>
> (Your UA string, for the record: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
> 6.0; WOW64; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121 Firefox/8.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.5 )

One bank where I had an account rejected the "Advertise Firefox"
feature.  It was sniffing for "Firefox" without any other text strings.
 Thus, the UA string
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121
                Firefox/8.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.5
was unacceptable since the UA string also included "SeaMonkey".

At the beginning of 2011, that bank was bought by another.  The accounts
and Web accesses to them were finally merged a month ago.  The new bank
now accepts the UA string
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121
                 SeaMonkey/2.5
without any need to spoof Firefox.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross