David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/2/11 4:26 PM, Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
Stan wrote:
Did we ever come up with a sure way of tricking sites into thinking we
are using Firefox?

I need to switch banks and it appears they only accept the browsers on
their list.

The largest way sites do this checking works out of the box with
SeaMonkey 2.5 (and a few other versions), but we do have a pref for it.

Fwiw you're current version does have this feature enabled, so if it
doesn't work with your new bank, there is a stronger issue with the way
it does this checking:

(Your UA string, for the record: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
6.0; WOW64; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121 Firefox/8.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.5 )

One bank where I had an account rejected the "Advertise Firefox"
feature.  It was sniffing for "Firefox" without any other text strings.
  Thus, the UA string
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121
                Firefox/8.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.5
was unacceptable since the UA string also included "SeaMonkey".

At the beginning of 2011, that bank was bought by another.  The accounts
and Web accesses to them were finally merged a month ago.  The new bank
now accepts the UA string
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121
                 SeaMonkey/2.5
without any need to spoof Firefox.

Hey, David. I am trying to understand the format and content of the UA String.

Do I really need the items enclosed in parentheses? If so, why Windows NT 5.1; and rv:8.0.1? I'd think there'd be a list of all the Windows like Vista et al.

Why do I include Mozilla, Gecko, and SeaMonkey?

Thanks
Stan