On 12/2/11 6:39 PM, Philip Chee wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 23:52:25 +0100, Jens Hatlak wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:
>>> I've had some experience in writing user documents.  Since I much prefer
>>> SeaMonkey's help capability -- embedded in the application -- over
>>> relying on Web-based help, I would like to volunteer to work on this.
>>> How can I get involved?
>>
>> Ideally you would set up a build environment, as explained here:
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Simple_SeaMonkey_build>
>> (Linux should be easiest to set up on). This way you can check whether
>> the modifications you make work out correctly.
>>
>> If this is not manageable for you, an intermediate solution would be to
>> only get the SeaMonkey sources (basically "hg clone
>> http://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/"; after installing mercurial on Linux
>> or MozillaBuild on Windows) so that you can provide patches against the
>> sources from which Help is built.
>>
>> The minimum effort, which would however require heavy assistance from
>> SeaMonkey developers in order to make it into the final product, would
>> be to only contribute texts (like "put this here, replace that there").
>>
>> In any case you'll need a SeaMonkey trunk (nightly) build for testing
>> plus a (free) Bugzilla account. Then select the bug(s) you want to work
>> on. Query for starters:
>> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=%3Aseamonkey%20%3Ahelp>
>>
>> Anything else, like how to create and maintain patches, get reviews
>> etc., or even how to build SM, can be discussed later. For these types
>> of discussions, feel free to join the m.d.a.seamonkey newsgroup and ask
>> questions as needed.
>
> It also helps if you have written user documentation in (X)HTML, and/or
> have written a few (very basic) html web pages.
>
> Phil

I've done many basic Web pages, but I've never done user documentation
in HTML or XHTML.  All this seems like a lot of work.  Work is something
I've tried to avoid since I retired 8 years ago.  So I think I'll pass.

If a developer is willing to take help text from me and go through the
hoops, however, I'll still be interested in working on this.  I'm even
willing to format the help text in HTML.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross