Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
DoctorBill wrote:

Using SeaMonkey 2.6.1 now.

I am in the process of trying to remove an infection of some Gawd Awful
Trojan or Virus called "XP Security 2012" that got into my system.

In looking up methods to remove it, I went to
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
for help.

One of the sites I was told to go for help says to disable the use of a
PROXY SERVER....
"Click the radio button labeled "No proxy". Click "OK" twice. This will
remove the proxy server settings in Firefox."

I presume that goes for SeaMonkey also....(?)

I looked up what a 'proxy server' is....is it necessary to use one when
on the web in SM 2.6.1 ?

Not at all. Depending on my ISP, at various times I've used/not used
proxies and SM never cared either way.

You can set this for the whole system through Control Panel | Internet
Options | Connections | LAN Settings, but SM also has an override
function at Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Proxies where you can accept
the system settings or not.

It is not whether SeaMonkey cares or not - does using a "Proxy" open up one's computer to being invaded more easily ?

Is using a "Proxy" like using a servant of the oldest profession on Earth and almost surely getting a "Virus" ?

Who/What is the "Proxy" ? - Who/Whatever is next in line ?

What MASTER does the "Proxy" answer to ?

Is the "Proxy" loaded with viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and malware of every kind ?

How do you know ?

Who do you call ?   Ghostbusters ?  lol

DoctorBill

--