DoctorBill wrote:
Rickles wrote:
DoctorBill wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
DoctorBill wrote:

Using SeaMonkey 2.6.1 now.

I am in the process of trying to remove an infection of some Gawd
Awful
Trojan or Virus called "XP Security 2012" that got into my system.

In looking up methods to remove it, I went to
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
for help.

One of the sites I was told to go for help says to disable the use
of a
PROXY SERVER....
"Click the radio button labeled "No proxy". Click "OK" twice. This
will
remove the proxy server settings in Firefox."

I presume that goes for SeaMonkey also....(?)

I looked up what a 'proxy server' is....is it necessary to use one
when
on the web in SM 2.6.1 ?

Not at all. Depending on my ISP, at various times I've used/not used
proxies and SM never cared either way.

You can set this for the whole system through Control Panel | Internet
Options | Connections | LAN Settings, but SM also has an override
function at Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Proxies where you can
accept
the system settings or not.

It is not whether SeaMonkey cares or not - does using a "Proxy" open up
one's computer to being invaded more easily ?

Is using a "Proxy" like using a servant of the oldest profession on
Earth and almost surely getting a "Virus" ?

Who/What is the "Proxy" ? - Who/Whatever is next in line ?

What MASTER does the "Proxy" answer to ?

Is the "Proxy" loaded with viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkits, dialers,
spyware, and malware of every kind ?

How do you know ?

Who do you call ? Ghostbusters ? lol

DoctorBill

A proxy is a sort-of beefed-up firewall. It works like this:
*-a firewall prevents unaithorised/attacking traffic getting to you by
denying/ignoring it, but your web request traffic in/out is still your
traffic. Your request traffic goes through the firewall out to the web,
and the answers are allowed back in to your PC.

*-a proxy is still a firewall as regards attacking traffic, but it
impersonates your PC on the internet for your traffic, which means the
internet thinks the proxy is the PC asking for the web page. Your
request traffic goes to the proxy, the proxy requests the web page. The
proxy receives the answer traffic back, checks it over, and then relays
back to your PC after deciding that it's safe to do so.

The differences are down to how the internet traffic is handled, going
out and coming back in. It's not less secure, it's more secure. But most
home-based routers with firewalls built-in are just firewalls as opposed
to proxys. If you haven't bought one and set it up, or had someone set
it up for you, you haven't got a proxy.

As previously posted, there is more than one way to configure the
traffic, if you need to.

OK - now I AM confused....

I do not have a firewall set up - unless XP has one from MicroSoft. (?)
Never bought one. I use AVG Free as a virus checker.

How much money can one spend to buy a Firewall, a virus checker, a
Maleware Program, etc, etc, etc ?

If I toggle the use of a Proxy on Preferences | Advanced | Proxies,
then a "Proxy" is assigned to me by some unknown 'whatever' - yes?

I mean - where or how is this "Proxy" set up - by some random internet
process in some unknown place ? China, Russia, Uzbekistan, Pakistan ?

All this is complex - but seems totally out of control (at my end) and
looks like each of us is at the 'mercy' of some anonymous benefactor
'out there' in the great electronic wilderness called the Internet.

Who is running the show, may I ask ?

Bewildering !

DoctorBill

I assumed you were connecting to the internet through a router device, most likely provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). That piece of hardware, that box, normally has at least a firewall function in it to protect you from unwanted internet traffic. A proxy is simply a different box, but more powerful, that does the same thing and more. If you have only a phone line plugged into your PC and you go through a dial-up process to connect, then you're not using a router of any kind, plain firewall or stronger proxy. Either way, it'd be something in your house with you, not in a foreign country. Since it looks like you have neither, then the question of proxy settings inside SM is meaningless. You can't change SM for something that doesn't exist in your home network.