Philip Chee wrote:

The Error Console is per instance. Of course one instance can comprise
multiple browser windows (and mail and chat and ...).

OK, poor use of terminology on my part : I have one instance of
Seamonkey (does it allow multiple instances ?) with typically
half-a-dozen browser windows and a mail window open.

2) To cause the error console to be displayed whenever the Seamonkey
        window associated with that instantiation is brought to the top.

You could use one of the Docked Error Console extensions to embed the
Error Console at the bottom of each window.

OK, looks good.

The Webconsole in Firefox 9 might be a better use case for you as it is
per window and shows network traffic as well.

Ah, interesting : I assume that there is no problem with running
both Firefox and Seamonkey (I never have, preferring the look and
feel of Seamonkey).

You might like to install my ConsoleĀ² drop in replacement for the native
error console:
<http://console2.mozdev.org/#C_latest_dev>
It has powerfull search and filter abilities. Screenshots:
<http://console2.mozdev.org/screenshots.html>

Thank you, I will investigate.

The current versions incorporate an older extension Console Filter.
<http://console2.mozdev.org/cf/index.html>
You can use a sort of google lite syntax to filter what you want to see
or not see.

Thank you very much, Philip.
** Phil.