chicagofan wrote:
What I meant was they seem to have changed their focus from "personalization" to
"specialization"... and dropping a lot of the flexibility previously available in Windows
O/S.

Thanks, Phil. I hate to give up, because I know this isn't the only brand
laptop having this problem.

Brief reply, because we are seriously off-topic here :

1) Don't give up with Win/7. I HATED it when I first tried it on
others' machines, and found myself saying over and over again
"Sorry, can't help you : no idea where they have hidden that
in Win/7".  BUT, once I got it for myself, disabled Aero,
made it look as much like XP as possible, and finally came
to grips with the crazy Explorer that has ditched an "Up"
button, I began to see that it was not as bad as I thought.
With XP having a shelf-life of about eighteen months now,
I am no longer terrified at the idea of having to upgrade
all my machines to Win/7, and I really /do/ like the idea
of running multiple VMs so that a virus in one cannot
affect the others (i.e., keep one VM for secure transactions,
one for general surfing, one for risky stuff), and use
the base Win/7 64-bit platform only for non-networking
activities.

2) Don't give up with your new Gateway : we're all rooting for you !

** Phil.