My security program (F-Secure) issues a newsletter and in the latest edition they recommend that we delete Java if we don't need it, because is seems to be most vulnerable to every new exploitation. see http://safeandsavvy.f-secure.com/2012/01/14/why-you-should-get-rid-of-java-now/?ecid=2942&nlcid=2942

Is Java necessary to effective use of Seamonkey? I see it pop up once or twice a day, most amusingly when I use F-Secure health check to see if my programs are up to snuff. I do have another program that scans my pc and tells me when any program is not up to date, so I do have the most up to date Java.